Skip to main content

Ash Wednesday.

Today I struggled all day with whether or not I should give something up for Lent. We didn't do this growing up, so it was totally foreign to me until I went to college and all my friends were asking "what are you giving up for Lent??" I didn't want to be the odd one out so I always did something- no sweets, no chips, or adding something like- go to the gym everyday, or pray more. I never really understood why a goal to better your physical health was somehow related to Lent...
Last night Sten read me this email he got from a woman he knows from Portage Lake:

Lent. Great time to remember that Jesus was totally a guy like you (and totally God, but he didn't use that part ...)
and the last 40 days of his life he KNEW what was coming. Seriously, I'm daring you guys to just think about that
once each day from now until Easter. If it helps you to give up something to help you remember, try it. But Lent isn't about us giving stuff up ... it's about us caring enough to remember that God was a guy ... not unlike you ... who knew the plan and kept walking toward it anyhow. WHY? yeah ... for you. And me.

This just really got me. I love the last part "He knew the plan and kept walking toward it anyhow..." I want to live like that. I want to know that God has got a crazy plan for my life and walk confidently toward it. So for the next 40 days I am going to remember this email and thank God everyday for knowing the plan and still going through with it.



Comments

  1. Wow, what a great perspective. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment