Skip to main content

Oatsy, Nutsy, Seedsy... Wheatsy Bread

Made some bread yesterday. I don't know what I did wrong. It definitely didn't rise quite as much as I would have liked, but it was still SOO tasty. Sten and I enjoyed it with a light tossed salad and homemade salad dressing. I think that is the perfect dinner. I could eat that almost every night. Here it is:
Oatsy, Nutsy, Seedsy... Wheatsy Bread from

Weigh up a nice potato, you'll need at least 8 ounces of potato after its peeled.

Dice it up and in a saucepan, cover it with at least a cup of water or so.
Boil until its soft.

Once its soft, remove the potato from the water, weigh out 8 ounces of boiled potato.
You'll also need 3 1/2 ounces of the potato water, add that to your potato.

Mash the potato in the water with a fork until you get a mushy mash. That sounded redundant. Set aside to cool off.

In a mixer bowl:
1 lg. egg yolk
2 oz. white sugar
2 oz. half and half or cream

Add cooled off potato mash and...
2 1/4 tsp. dry yeast (or one packet of dry yeast)

Mix on low until combined, then add:
15 oz. bread flour (your choice of white/wheat ratio, I like 50/50)
1 tsp. salt

Mix with hook attachment for a couple minutes then add:
1 oz. shortening (stay with me here...)

then I add:
2 Tbs. wheatgerm
2 Tbs. oatmeal
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
2 Tbs. sunflower seeds

Let the mixer (with dough hook) work for 15-20 mintes. (its less shaggy when made with some wheat flour), remove the dough from the bowl onto a piece of parchment paper doused (doused?) with a tablespoon of flour.
(if you are making an all white flour dough, only 8-10 minutes of kneading in the Kitchen Aid is necessary)

Roll it around and coat it in the flour and turn the edges underneath itself forming a smooth ball. At this point, most of the flour from the parchment will be incorporated.

Place the smooth dough in an oiled bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise about 1 3/4 - 2 hrs. or until about double. (wheat bread takes about twice the time to rise)
If your house is cool, place the bowl in a sink with a couple inches of warm water, adding warm water to heat as necessary for your own proof box.

Divide into two equal pieces (this makes two 1 lb. loaves) and place in two greased bread loaf pans, dust with flour. My pans were a little smaller than standard. I think they were about 7 1/2 inches long by 4 inches wide.
Allow to rise, loosely covered with plastic wrap, until dough is about 1 inch above the edges of the pan, this took me about 45 minutes.
When there is about 10 minutes left on the rise, preheat your oven to 350*F.

CAREFULLY remove the plastic wrap after the rise, you don't want to deflate your loaves for goodness sake.

How tragic would that be?
Babies would cry and angels would weep. So sad.

Bake at 350*F for about 30 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, I quickly opened the oven and placed a piece of foil across the top of the loaves so they didn't get too browned on top. on the agenda...toast with a slice of this bread!


  1. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    thanks for trying the oatsy, seedsy, ...etc. lol
    its so great to see your photo =)
    have a great day
    oh p.s....LOVE your table!

  2. AH! Thanks for the recipe! I love your blog!


Post a Comment