Skip to main content

a day off and some apple crisp.

Yesterday was pretttttty amazing. I woke up to the sunshine in my face and Tre Kronor on my mind. Sten and I hit the streets and walked the 0.5 blocks to our destination. I ordered the waffle and Sten ordered the roasted bell pepper and brie quiche. wowza. The food was simply amazing- as was the company- as was the view out the window.

seriously good.
With a beautiful view of Fall Foliage, Foster Ave, and my Freshman dorm!



I went for a long run in the sun after running some errands and laying out in the sun. I then began Barefoot Contessa's Apple Crisp. The perfect dessert for a large group on a Fall evening. Top it with some ice cream and you are GTG!

I used 10 small Macintosh Apples
The zest of one lemon and 1 TBLS of lemon juice
This mixture smelled so delicious. I added cardamom for a little extra special kick.

All those little apples ready for the crisp!
I never thought those butter chunks would turn into this:
Ready for the oven.
YUM-O
Finished product.

Recipe: Apple Crisp
From the Kitchen of: Barefoot Contessa
Yeild: 12 generous servings
10 small or 8 medium tart apples peeled, diced and cored.
1 t. Lemon zest
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cardamom (my addition)

Topping:
1 1/2 C Flour
3/4 C. Sugar
3/4 C Brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 C Oatmeal
2 Sticks cold butter

Preheat over to 350 degrees.
slice apples in to bite sized chunks. Place in large mixing bowl & combine with lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and spices. Toss to combine and pour into a baking dish large enough to fit all the apples.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with ta paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal and butter. Beat on low until the butter is broken up in to small bits (this took me a while!)
Crumble mixture evenly over the apples.
Bake for 1 hour, or until the topping is brown and the apples are bubbling (this really happens!)

ENJOY!

Tomorrow is Friday I get to have an overnight with the sweetest little niece a girl could ask for. That's right- ELIN is sleeping over at Uncle Sten and Aunt Erica's apartment!! Ahhh! Can't wait.

xoxo.
erica.






Comments

  1. Looks amazing! Love that you added cardamom - can't wait to try! SO JEALOUS you guys live close to Tre. And looking at these pics I now have to add the waffle to my Have To Have list. It was already too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo... I should try this one too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment