Happy morning time.

Today I did myself a favor and had a warm, healthy and fulfilling breakfast stuffed of whole grains, antioxidants, and flavor.
I was on the treadmill the other day and had forgotten my headphones... woof. I was switching between trying to read captions from Dr. Oz and the snowboarding "Dew Games"(weird, but awesome...). Suddenly I became fascinated by Dr. Oz's exclamation of the new superfruit: LINGONBERRY! I was immediately disinterested in the Dew Games. After a little research on my own, here are some health benefits of these little morsels of joy that normally I only eat on my Swedish Pancakes from Tre Kronor and Swedish Meatballs from IKEA:

  1. Animal studies have shown how the lingonberry can lower inflammatory molecules, block oxidants from destroying tissue, and also help the body replace important antioxidants.  Lingonberry has also been shown to increase red blood cell and liver enzymes needed for antioxidant protection. Lastly, they are found to be effective against the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, which can cause a wide variety of infections. 
  2. Native Americans in North America have a history of using this berry to help those suffering with diabetes and cardiovascular illness. the lingonberry was able to reduce the effect of advanced glycation end-products (AGEs). AGEs are the byproduct of sugars and heated protein molecules in the body that accumulate in patients with high blood sugar. These AGEs contribute to the damage in a diabetic’s vessels. This damage is a major contributor to kidney disease, eye disease and circulation problems that can lead to skin sores and amputation. (source)
  3. To sum it up: lingonberries are good for you!
    Good morning!

    Recipe:
    1 packet Quaker Instant Oatmeal (high fiber, less sugar)
    1/4 cup Dannon light n fit vanilla yogurt
    2 Tablespoons lingonberries
    1/2 cup blueberries

    Heat up the oats and add remaining ingredients at once... FUEL up, its going to be Friday tomorrow!

    After work today I went to Total Strength, and I already know I am going to wake up in pain tomorrow. But strangely, I love that feeling-- the burn!!

    Since I worked last Sunday it feels like today was Friday, but since I work Saturday, it's really only Thursday for me tomorrow... does that make sense? NO! No one should ever work 7 days straight :) 

    xo.
    e
delicious and nutritious.

Comments

  1. Man I cannot believe that even Native Americans had heart disease! Sheesh! Sounds like an awesome breakfast though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts