Skip to main content

Lasagna Soup

Happy almost Thanksgiving... My very favorite holiday! We are headed to MN tomorrow after work and I couldn't be more thrilled to see my family and spend time with Sten in the Motherland.
This recipe has nothing to do with Thanksgiving dinner and everything to do with a hearty Italian soup for a chilly evening in with friends. I haven't been trying many new recipes lately, but after my co-worker raved about this Lasagna Soup I had to try it for myself. It's originally a Paula Deen recipe, however, its been revised by her son Bobby for a lighter fare. It's absolutely delicious and a great soup for a crowd.


Lasagna Soup

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 4 noodles)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Instructions:
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick saucepot or Dutch oven. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8 – 10 minutes.

Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes. Add the noodles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in mozzarella, basil, and the Parmesan.






Things I am thankful for right now:
- Time with Sten.
- Date nights downtown
- Lazy Saturdays
- Texts from J of Baby Amos
- Face-time with my mom and dad.
- Slow season at work
- Small group discussions.
- Amazing Race, The Voice and Survivor.
- Dinner parties with friends
- A clean apartment.
- Good books that make my commute so enjoyable.
- 55 degree days on Nov. 19th.

I hope you will make this soup! It is truly to die for. I also hope that you have a Happy Thanksgiving and find so many things to be grateful for.
xo. erica.









Comments

  1. that is a soup I have never heard of before, and it sounds delicious! I am in your Minnesota "motherland" as well right now for the holiday. hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

    floralandfudge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your blog! Isn't Minnesota magical? :) xo!

      Delete

Post a Comment