Skip to main content

Summer Corn and Cheese Dip + Mom's Birthday Surprise!

Can't believe it's Monday and Sten's at work... We had a great weekend! Highlights included:
- lots of yard work

- deck time
- bonfire with the neighbors
- getting ready for my mom's party
- Sten preaching at church
- celebrating my mom's 60th Birthday with family!

Jessica and I had lots of fun planning the menu and came up with a Mexican BBQ theme. Our menu included:
Apps:
Summer Corn and Cheese Dip (recipe below!)
Chips and Salsa
Veggies and dip
Main:
Chipotle Sliders
Mexican Rice
Black beans with queso fresco
PW corn/pepper salsa
Guacamole
Dessert:
Sopapilla Cheesecake
Chocolate Amaretto Cake

The party (which was supposed to be a surprise) was a blast! I think my mom was somewhat surprised??!! haha
I got a few blurry pics (photo credit: Sten)





I found the corn dip recipe on Iowa Girl Eats "Friday Favorites" and thought that would be PERFECT for this party- and it was! The recipe is from Minimalist Baker, and you can find the actual recipe HERE. We tweaked ours since we prepped everything the day before so I will give you my version :)

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups fresh corn, cut off the cob (~3 ears)
1 shallot, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
4 ounces (1/2 package) 1/3-fat cream cheese
1 cup grated queso fresco cheese
1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper

Heat a skillet with 1-2 T olive oil, add chopped shallot and minced garlic, stir to prevent from burning. Add corn and salt and pepper. Keep cooking until the shallots are soft. In a separate bowl, mix together greek yogurt, cream cheese and queso fresco. Add the corn mixture. At this point Jessica and poured the mixture in a baking dish and popped it into the fridge to heat in the oven the next day. However, if you are planning on eating it right away you can just pour it into a baking dish and pop it into the oven for 10 minutes at 375.

SO good! It was a major success!



Sorry for the lack of appetizing photos... but I promise this was delicious!

Happy Birthday mom! I hope you enjoyed your party and felt SPECIAL!
xoxo.
e


Comments