Skip to main content

Homemade Mac n Cheese

This week I made homemade Mac n Cheese. I searched on pinterest and found one labeled "The best Mac n Cheese ever" so naturally I had to give it a try. I personally have never made homemade macaroni and cheese, so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I will say- this is REALLY tasty, and I will probably use this recipe for the rest of my life :) I'm such a sucker for traditions. Growing up my mom would let us pick whatever we wanted for dinner on our Birthday. For many, many years I chose macaroni and cheese. I hope to continue that tradition, as it always seemed extra special when mom was making something JUST because it was your day. My sister always chose Chicken Tetrazzini. Isn't it funny the things we remember?
Sten was gone at a 1-day conference just outside of Chicago this week. It was our first night home without him, and we survived- with some help from friends ;)

Here's the recipe and a couple other pictures from the week.

Macaroni and Cheese:
From: The Kitchen Treaty

Ingredients:
8 oz (1/2 lb, 1 3/4 C) Macaroni or other medium tubular pasta-- I used penne.
3 T butter
1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp smoked paprika-- plus more to sprinkle on top
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 C 2% milk
3 C grated medium cheddar cheese

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375
Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain and run some cold water over to stop the cooking. Return to the pot you boiled it in. Set aside.
Over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the flour and spices and over medium heat. Stir constantly for 3 mins.
Stir in the milk
Wisk for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
Remove from heat, and stir in 2 C of the cheese until melted.
Pour cheese sauce over the noodles and toss gently until all noodles are covered.
Add half the noodles to a 2 quart casserole dish
Sprinkle on 1/2 C of cheese
Add rest of noodles, top with remaining 1/2 C cheese and a sprinkle of paprika
Bake 25-30 minutes.
ENJOY!

Butter, flour and spices
Add milk and stir
It will finally thicken 
Add the cheese
Mix in the noodles
Ready for the oven!
Sooo good!

Other happenings:
We hung out with Jake and Caleb on Wednesday morning. I think these two are going to be BFF's :)
Lucy's first Caribou Coffee hangout. 

Lucy turned 7 wks old yesterday! 

Happy weekend! 
Xo, 
Erica

Comments

  1. Will definitely make this. You should do a post on that tetrazzini at some point - sounds awesome. Lucy. Is. GORGEOUS. I hope we get to meet her if you're in Chicago this Christmas! We'll be there 12/24-27.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment