Cardamom Coffee Bread

This weekend it is Mother's Day! I will be celebrating my FIRST Mother's Day which I feel is such an honor. I absolutely love being Lucy's mom. In honor of Mother's Day there is a bake sale at church to raise funds for a group of awesome people going to Chile this summer for a missions trip. I am donating some Cardamom Coffee Bread loaves. I also will be bringing one to my mom as we celebrate her awesome-ness on Saturday.
This bread is life-changing. It's worth the MILLION steps. You will not only feel accomplished after making this, you will feel like a bakery chef at an acclaimed Chicago Bakery.
I feel especially lucky because I learned this from my Mother-in-law, and she HAND PRINTED the entire recipe for me. I treasure things that are hand-written, and I know I'll have this little sheet of paper forever.

my recipe <3

INGREDIENTS:
2 C milk scalded (microwave for 2 minutes, stir and add time as necessary)
1/2 C Butter, or margarine
2 tsp Salt
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs + 2 yolks, divided
1 T Yeast (heaping)*
1/4 C lukewarm Water*
*combine the yeast and water and let it bubble (sprinkling a little sugar on top helps too)
8 C Flour
1 3/4 T Cardamom (grind as fine as possible)

DIRECTIONS:
Scald milk and pour over butter, sugar and salt
Cool to lukewarm
Add 2 eggs, yeast, and cardamom
Stir in 6 cups flour and beat until smooth
Turn out on a floured surface and add rest as needed.
Knead 5-10 mins (use crisco on hands to work dough)
Place in greased bowl
Cover with a towel and let rise until double 1.5-2 hours
Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute
Divide into 4 parts
Braid with 4 strands, starting on right (under over under)
Cover other parts in bowl while braiding one loaf at a time
Place 2 loaves on greased cookie sheet
Beat egg yolk and 1 tsp water
Spread over braid with fingertips and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (do this before 1st raising and one again after raising)
Let rise 45 mins- 1 hour
Bake at 350
Start looking at 20 mins and add minutes accordingly

 butter+sugar, add milk, yeast+water

 add eggs + cardamom, MIX

 add flour, i used my dough hook for a cup and then switched to kneading by hand

RISEN!

 split into 4, then 4 again


BRAID!

 add the egg + cinnamon sugar
into the oven!
Voila!
Hope you try this sometime!

My little one is SICK. Poor baby. She's usually so squirmy and feisty, yesterday though, there was some SERIOUS snuggles going on. One of my favorite days ever.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the AMAZING women in my life. Mom, if you're reading this- thanks for teaching me how to love others and myself, thank you for sharing your creative side with me and your love of travel and independence. You make the world a better place and I love you so.

XO,
Erica

Comments

  1. Happy first Mother's Day, Erica! Lucy is so sweet - thanks for sharing little snippets of your life here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts