Skip to main content

gingerbread love.

So excited to be back for another year of Scandinavian Christmas! As my little one grows I think about traditions often. One of my favorite Christmas traditions was decorating our house while listening to the Amy Grant Christmas RECORD. I still have visions of my sister and I dancing around the house while singing: "Wonderful, Counselor! Lord of Life, Lord of ALLLLLLLL, He is the Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Holy One, Eeee-maaaaaa-nuel, Emanuel!" I think secretly our parents hoped that record would get scratched....
Last year for Christmas I got a 'Swedish Gingerbread House Cookie Cutter' from my mother-in-law and thought making gingerbread houses will be a tradition I start! Lucy is a little young yet, and was really more just in the way, but it's the thought that counts, right?! So- here we are, year 1!
This gingerbread recipe was delicious, I made little gingerbread men and gave them to a new family at our church and she asked for the recipe. Sten loved it too- as did my daughter Lucy.
Below are some pictures and the recipe. I hope you enjoy your traditions this year, and if you happen to crave a gingerbread treat- I highly recommend trying these! If you'd like the cutter for yourself, here is a link: buy it here!

Recipe:
Jenny's Pepperkakor
1 Cup Shortening
1 Cup sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup molasses
2 Tbls vinegar
5 Cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Soda
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg., molasses and vinegar. Sift together dry ingredients, blend into other ingredients. Chill 3 hours. Roll dough 1/8 inch think on a lightly flour cookie sheets. Use cookie cutter twice to make enough shapes for one house. Remove excess dough between shapes. Bake at 375 for 5-6 minutes Cool slightly; remove to rack. 

I used a generic buttercream frosting for the glue.









 I pre-decorated the pieces, this seemed to work well!


 simple and delicious!
 I used course pretzel salt to look like snow


Here's Lucy eating a gingerbread man. She was LOVING it.

God Jul! I hope your Christmas is full of traditions new and old!
XO, 
erica

Comments