Aunt Nancy's Rye Bread
2 medium potatoes + 2 C of potato water
2 Tbls yeast in 1/2 C warm water
1/4 C margarine
1 Tbls salt
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C dark corn syrup
2/3 C evaporated milk
4 C medium rye flour
6-7 C white flour
2-3 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp anise
Boil potatoes, mash and mix with 2 C potato water. Let cool to lukewarm.
Mix all ingredients together. Knead. Let rise in greased (covered with towel) bowl. approx 1 hour. Form into 4 round loaves. Let rise 20-30 mins. bake at 350 for 40 mins.
after the first rise... WHOA!
split into 4, let it rise one more time, then toss it in the oven! VOILA!
This recipe is really pretty simple and if you are in the mood for a warm loaf of delicious bread you should surely give this a try!
We had a very wonderful weekend. Some highlights include:
- Friday. just the whole day. I love when Sten is off work
- Friday night dinner with the Bernard's. Followed by a rousing game of Balderdash and a sleep-over!
- Saturday the whole gang went to IKEA where we drank lots of coffee, ate Swedish meatballs and let the kids run wild.
- Saturday night was one of my childhood friend, Jamie's bachelorette party! It was classy, and elegant and so lovely to see everyone.
- Sunday after church Lucy and I drove to Chippewa Falls to see some family which is always a treat.
- Sten spent a large portion of Sunday making our drawers and cabinets child-proof (we are a little late to this game, but honestly, it wasn't really bad until lately, when she is into EVERYTHING).
- Ignite Christmas Party capped off our weekend!
Now it's Monday- the perfect day to bake some bread. Hope you're weekend was glorious!