Skip to main content

God Jul and Swedish Meatballs.


I'm so excited to be a guest blogger for Scandinavian Christmas 2013! I couldn't decide what to share this year, until I took a look at my Advent Calendar and today was: Make a Swedish Meatball Dinner. Perfect. Swedish Meatballs can be enjoyed at anytime of the year, however, on this cold snowy day in Wisconsin with the Christmas lights lit, I feel it screams Christmas!



I have a 3 month old (Lucy), so I needed a recipe I could prep while she was napping and this is a perfect "make ahead" meal. I adapted a few different recipes to make my own based on what I had on hand.
Sten and I enjoyed this after Lucy went to sleep. I hope you'll enjoy this meal as well!

For the meatballs:
1.25 lbs Ground Turkey
1/2 onion, chopped (I used red)
 2 tsp. dried parsley
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

Combine all meatball ingredients together in a bowl, mix thoroughly by hand being careful not to over-mix. Using a Tablespoon make 24-27 meatballs and place evenly spaced on a greased cookie sheet.
Cook at 350 for 18-20 minutes.

Gravy:
1 (15oz) can beef broth
1/2 C milk or cream (I used soy milk bc Lucy has a milk alergy)
1/4 C lingonberries
2 T corn starch
4 T cold water

 Combine lingonberries, broth and milk in a saucepan. Bring the liquid mixture to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch with the 4 tablespoons cold water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce mixture while it is simmering. It will begin to thicken after adding the cornstarch. Continue to simmer until sauce is a gravy-like consistency.
_____

While the meatballs were in the oven I prepped my potatoes

Roasted Potatoes:
5-6 yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cloves minced garlic
2 T olive oil
Dill
pepper
salt

Combine ingredients and roast at 450 for 40 mins.





If you too are in need of a "make ahead meal" follow these instructions: after I cooked the meatballs and added them to the gravy, I stuck the saucepan in the fridge. I prepped the potatoes so I could just throw them on the baking sheet and in the oven prior to eating while the meatballs and gravy were warming back up.

This meal was delicious and nutritious. Sten said to me: they taste like Tre Kronor- our favorite Swedish restaurant in Chicago! So glad it showed up on my Advent calendar so I could share it! I hope you can cozy up with someone you love dearly and enjoy this warm comfort meal.

God Jul from my family to yours!

xo,
Erica



Comments

  1. The Swedish meatballs and potatoes look delicious!
    I LOVE your Advent calendar! It's beautiful. And now I want to know what the other 24 days say :)
    www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know too! Great post guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

goodbye summer 2026

I headed back to BHP today after what may have been the best summer ever. If you would have asked me a week ago if I was ready to go back I would have said no, but I think God does a good job of preparing our hearts for big changes if we allow him to, and I truly felt prepared walking into school today.  My classroom has a ways to go to be ready to welcome in students to meet the teacher night on Wednesday-- but I know I'll get there.  Routine is good, and I packed my lunch last night, laid out my clothes and after work today headed to the grocery before grilling up some chicken for dinner. I needed something to remind me that I love feeding my family well, being somewhat organized and nights at home after a day away. Here are some summer lasts: Mornings on the front porch with coffee + 1 kid + a game?!?!? THE BEST Also a LOT of Rummikub lately a Friday morning of cinnamon chip scones might be the best way to start the day family bike ride on the Brown's Creek Trail 12 miles w...

Wolfpack.

We had a good day with these lifetime friends of mine. PHS class of ‘04.  Linds is so good at getting everyone together. She planned this whole day and then everyone took the day off work/ got kids out of activities and sports and made the effort to see one another.  Friendship of 35 years is a true gift. I feel like these girls watched me grow up. From playing boxcar children in the basement to jr high shenanigans/ all the trips to Treasure Island to studying abroad together in Italy to visiting each others first homes/ attending weddings /welcoming in motherhood and most recently keeping up on Marco Polo I am thankful for these gals.     Recreating a picture from 7 yrs ago 😂  As we were saying our goodbyes we looked down and BURST into laughter. Must be a 40 yr old thing.  Memories upon memories with this crew.  xo. edc.   

Dan and Pam +

 One of our favorite weeks of summer came and went: When Dan and Pam visit. This means lots of family time at Big C. Everything is a game and there are lots of laughs-- never ending fun. It always goes by so fast and it’s sad to see them go.  This year we did something super different and took a 24 hour trip to show off Duluth to Pam. J is the best trip planner and when she sent me the itinerary I knew it was going to be a good time.  Here we are in our little hostel room. I slept like a rock thanks to half a sleeping pill. Seriously. I slept over 9 hours and didn’t even wake up to go to the bathroom!  Found just a couple rocks to skip 😂  Here we are at split rock lighthouse. We were too cheap to go into the actual park and get the tour so we listened to a podcast on the way home instead haha  The fog hadn't burned off yet and it made for the most beautiful backdrop.  Perhaps the highlight for me: burrata and wine on the rocks of gooseberry falls. We ...