That was the best I’ve ever felt in a race. The miles flew by and never once was I like: I can’t do this. My mental game was strong, my legs felt spring-y and my smile was wide as I ran through the city.
I ate my typical meal the night before but went to bed feeling so full and slept poorly due to a bad stomach ache…? I don’t know. Carbo loading is actually hard bc it’s so unnatural (even for me) to eat that many grams of carbohydrates. I need to work on that.
I woke up at 5, had toast with PB and honey on it, left the house at 5:40 and drove to the intercontinental. I parked, sent myself a pin of my location 😂 and then used the hotel bathroom a couple times before getting on the bus to the start. I drank skratch mixed with perfect aminos on the way to the start line then used the bathrooms about 3 more times. I had 1/2 a bagel while sitting around trying to keep warm then headed to the start around 7:50.
I wanted to get right next to the 3:20 pacer. I wasn’t sure I could run a 3:20, but also thought I’d give it a try. Pacer Zhen told me not to pass him the first 13 miles and I did not! I am a rule follower!
The first half was so fun. Running with pace group is a blast because you get SO MANY CHEERS! And everyone is trying to read the sign, so they’re all like: what is this? 7:30 pace? No, 7:39. No, it says 7:38…. And so on. It was especially hard to read the sign because of the wind :) I stayed with Zhen and didn’t pass him and chatted a bit with the others running in this group.
Then at the halfway point I was like: I feel good. I’m going to push the pace, I shaved a few seconds off each mile and finished the second half of the race faster than the first!
When I got to mile 18 I still felt good and my sister and Mike biked up and that gave me a huge boost, then I kept seeing them as they biked to further spots along the way!! At 22 or 23? I saw Haley, Kim and Allen and that was amazing! Seeing people there for you is the BEST!
I just felt good the whole time. I think my mouth hurt from smiling more than my legs. It was SUCH a joy bringing day. The total stuff of life that fills you up and makes you feel like yourself.
I went into this marathon ready to take a break and *surprise!* am now researching what to do next :)
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think I looked like this the whole time.
This marathon is near and dear to my heart.
xo.edc





Congratulations on another great marathon!! You're amazing! :)
ReplyDelete