Skip to main content

Sugar Badger 50 mile.

 

50 miler: ✔️
Finished in 7:49
2nd female 
3rd overall 
 
What a day. I was so sick of bagels and carbs going to bed on Friday night. But I woke up Saturday morning and stuffed another down and then headed to the race briefing which was to start at 5:45am. It didn’t start at 5:45, it started closer to 5:55 and then all of the sudden basically mid-sentence the race director looked at the clock and said it’s 6am! Go! I hadn’t even started my watch to get the gps signal and ended up running about a tenth of a mile before pressing start 😝 ultras are just so different than road races. There is absolutely no urgency— it’s wild. 

I started running with a gal named Emily about a 1/2 mile in and we stayed together through mile 32.  My goal was 8 hours which were 9:36 splits, her plan was 8:30’s so that she could spend a couple minutes at each aid station and that worked well for us. We stayed on pace through the 1/2 way point and beyond and then she started having stomach issues and needed to walk and I was at the point where if I walked I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to start again. The time with her flew by! I barely looked at my watch, didn’t have to use any mental energy and she kept the pace really well. Reminding us to slow down when we got to fast and take drinks and eat our food. 

Miles 33-40 felt a bit torturous. I knew once I hit single digits I’d be good to go, but those middle miles felt like they draggggged. I had no music, no people around me and although the trail was beautiful there was no change in scenery. I did have the birds and an occasional rabbit 🐇. I got to see Sten at mile 40 which was the best and then there was a hill at mile 45 and I attacked it, feeling so grateful for the change in elevation to use different muscles, I got a big boost after that and knew I’d finish strong. 

I passed what I thought were 3rd and 4th place runners at the final Aid station and never looked back. Knowing I could potentially finish top 3 was a huge motivator for me. 

Running through the shoot I felt intense appreciation for my body which carried me for nearly 8 hours. And for Sten who gave up soooo much of himself to chase the goal with me. I felt every prayer, every well wish and every cheer. 

Not sure if ultra running is for me, but it sure is a highlight of my “running career” 😂.

Mary gave me this bracelet on Friday and it felt like a giant hug each time I checked my watch. Also: 84,000 steps in one day 😵‍💫


Pretty dang proud of this one. I worked hard and it paid off. 
xo.edc

To celebrate and because we were only 15 minutes away we went to New Glarus Brewery! I was not looking my finest, but I felt so thankful that sten was by my side nothing could get me down. We enjoyed seeing this “Wisconsin Staple” and realized as we were walking into the brewery that we have been Wisconsin residents for 12 years… WHAT?!?!? Didn’t we just move here? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dan and Pam +

 One of our favorite weeks of summer came and went: When Dan and Pam visit. This means lots of family time at Big C. Everything is a game and there are lots of laughs-- never ending fun. It always goes by so fast and it’s sad to see them go.  This year we did something super different and took a 24 hour trip to show off Duluth to Pam. J is the best trip planner and when she sent me the itinerary I knew it was going to be a good time.  Here we are in our little hostel room. I slept like a rock thanks to half a sleeping pill. Seriously. I slept over 9 hours and didn’t even wake up to go to the bathroom!  Found just a couple rocks to skip 😂  Here we are at split rock lighthouse. We were too cheap to go into the actual park and get the tour so we listened to a podcast on the way home instead haha  The fog hadn't burned off yet and it made for the most beautiful backdrop.  Perhaps the highlight for me: burrata and wine on the rocks of gooseberry falls. We ...

Wolfpack.

We had a good day with these lifetime friends of mine. PHS class of ‘04.  Linds is so good at getting everyone together. She planned this whole day and then everyone took the day off work/ got kids out of activities and sports and made the effort to see one another.  Friendship of 35 years is a true gift. I feel like these girls watched me grow up. From playing boxcar children in the basement to jr high shenanigans/ all the trips to Treasure Island to studying abroad together in Italy to visiting each others first homes/ attending weddings /welcoming in motherhood and most recently keeping up on Marco Polo I am thankful for these gals.     Recreating a picture from 7 yrs ago 😂  As we were saying our goodbyes we looked down and BURST into laughter. Must be a 40 yr old thing.  Memories upon memories with this crew.  xo. edc.   

goodbye summer 2026

I headed back to BHP today after what may have been the best summer ever. If you would have asked me a week ago if I was ready to go back I would have said no, but I think God does a good job of preparing our hearts for big changes if we allow him to, and I truly felt prepared walking into school today.  My classroom has a ways to go to be ready to welcome in students to meet the teacher night on Wednesday-- but I know I'll get there.  Routine is good, and I packed my lunch last night, laid out my clothes and after work today headed to the grocery before grilling up some chicken for dinner. I needed something to remind me that I love feeding my family well, being somewhat organized and nights at home after a day away. Here are some summer lasts: Mornings on the front porch with coffee + 1 kid + a game?!?!? THE BEST Also a LOT of Rummikub lately a Friday morning of cinnamon chip scones might be the best way to start the day family bike ride on the Brown's Creek Trail 12 miles w...