It’s easy to talk about my sister. And it’s hard at the same time, because I usually can’t contain my love for her and I get all choked up. To this day I can’t believe I made it through my speech at her wedding.
Today is her birthday! What a lucky day it is. I’m beyond grateful she was born. As kids we fought a lot. We spent a lot of time in our separate rooms "thinking about what we did to each other". I certainly remember that, but I also remember after a few minutes we’d start knocking on our adjoining wall, and at one point we had made our own secret code with 2 knocks as hello, 3 knocks meaning isnt mom the worst for sending us to our rooms. She was older, cooler and way more fun than me and I worshiped her. I wanted to be just like her. She’s always been a leader you want to follow. Our special bond got stronger in high school, and when she went away to college there was a gaping hole in our family. I missed her so much. I took over her babysitting jobs and wore her clothes she’d left behind. I lived my HS years to the max, but when Christmas break or summer came around I always felt a little more like myself, with my sister home. I’ve always felt like that. Little did I know that when I left for college that would be he last time we lived in the same state. We spent a lot of our 20’s apart, me in Chicago and Colorado and her a city girl. We both fell in love, and then when we started having kids I think God knew I’d need her around.
I specifically remember being pregnant and being so nervous about all the irrational fears that come along with that. She’d send me these long texted out prayers that would calm me and would bring so much peace. Moving to Hudson has been amazing in so many ways, but getting to do life with my sister only 25 minutes away has been the absolute greatest. I wish everyone knew her, and at the same time I don’t want to share her with the world. She is literally the most selfless and loving person. She loves me with just the right amount of grace and grit, and has enough sass to account for the both of us.
Being a mom alongside her has been pure joy. She’s bailed me out a million times and takes my kids on a dime.
She’s a teacher and her class gets out this week. Then summer will start-- the time of year I get used to having her around all the time. Fall is rough at our house, when we don’t get to see cousins daily and I lose my friend to her passion for teaching. In which she SOARS. She’s literally the best teacher. But June 6th has always been a favorite day for me. The day God have me a sister and a friend who has given me a thousand memories and more love than I deserve.
Happy Birthday sissy. I love you.
Comments
Post a Comment