In so many ways this year seemed to be mentally defined by my 20, 20 mile runs. I know this isn’t a huge thing to a lot of athletes, but it felt like a monster goal to me and I was jazzed about it. I loved checking the first few off my list envisioning all the races I’d be running in 2020 and how these 20 milers would make me mentally and physically tough enough to get through them.... then when COVID hit in March I thought for sure I’d still be running my JUNE race, and being on safer-at-home only gave me more time to run. I was running 60 mile weeks and feeling great. I still remember vividly the day I got the email about Grandma’s being canceled. I cried. I was devastated. I ran my fastest 1/2 marathon that day. I ran out all my sadness and came home with a fresh perspective. 2020 was going to be about enjoying every run and remembering that each time I lace up my sneakers I GET to go out and do something I love.
There were SO many good runs this year. Lots of solo miles. Lots of mid day runs while sten was working from home, lots of books listened to, tons of podcasts, so much t. swift, hillsong and more recently hollow coves. So many runs on empty roads where I would scream prayers to God. Times I would feel His presence more than ever before. Hot days where I thought I was going to die from lack of water. Cold days where I was convinced I’d lose one of my fingers... So many beautiful scenes I got to lock in my mind and remember— I can’t wait until I race again and can pull out the memory of mile 16 running along the road up near Bay Lake staring up in wonder at the TALLEST pine trees on either side of me. Or when I ran from my house to Big C cabin and every step of the Sunday afternoon run felt like a big gift wrapped in expensive wrapping paper. So many good things.
And now it’s over and I’m so relieved. I will still be intense about my running, but if I want to skip a day or a week I will.
No idea what 2021 will bring. But I need to start thinking of a good new running goal :)
xo. edc.



Comments
Post a Comment