Skip to main content

my big 4 year old.

Why do the years fly by so fast? How is my Lucy girl turning 4 today? I want to freeze time and bottle up her little personality so I can always have a sweet girl to make me laugh and give me a back rub and give me so many snuggles. But I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about her turning 3, so I guess it's true that every stage is more fun than the last.







Lucy is the most imaginative human I've ever met. She can make a game out of putting away the silverware and 40 minutes later is still pretending the dad is the big fork, the mom is the spoon and the 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon is the baby. She keeps us on our toes with her non-stop talking and loves to point out when someone isn't following the rules.  She gets along great with other kids, and seems to be a good little friend. She loves to laugh, and thinks older kids are so cool. She is a good big sister (most of the time), and deep in her heart loves Olle very much. Lately she's been telling him how cute he is, and even wanted to rock him to sleep the other night.

Our family wouldn't look the same without Lucy in it. She has taught me a lot about self confidence because this is something she does not lack. I admire this trait in her and hope the world never steals this great joy from her. She is one of kind, and she owns that-- to the max.

One more year at home with this lady before she heads off to 4K. She's ready now, but I'm not. She has her whole life to grow up, and I feel so strongly that she only has this time to be little. To be a princess whenever she wants, or to play play-doh at the counter while I make lunch.

Lucy, I hope 4 is your best year yet. You are more beautiful than diamonds and more precious than rubies. You are a gem, and we love you more than all the treasure in the world.

live up your birthday girl!
xo, edc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

goodbye summer 2026

I headed back to BHP today after what may have been the best summer ever. If you would have asked me a week ago if I was ready to go back I would have said no, but I think God does a good job of preparing our hearts for big changes if we allow him to, and I truly felt prepared walking into school today.  My classroom has a ways to go to be ready to welcome in students to meet the teacher night on Wednesday-- but I know I'll get there.  Routine is good, and I packed my lunch last night, laid out my clothes and after work today headed to the grocery before grilling up some chicken for dinner. I needed something to remind me that I love feeding my family well, being somewhat organized and nights at home after a day away. Here are some summer lasts: Mornings on the front porch with coffee + 1 kid + a game?!?!? THE BEST Also a LOT of Rummikub lately a Friday morning of cinnamon chip scones might be the best way to start the day family bike ride on the Brown's Creek Trail 12 miles w...

Wolfpack.

We had a good day with these lifetime friends of mine. PHS class of ‘04.  Linds is so good at getting everyone together. She planned this whole day and then everyone took the day off work/ got kids out of activities and sports and made the effort to see one another.  Friendship of 35 years is a true gift. I feel like these girls watched me grow up. From playing boxcar children in the basement to jr high shenanigans/ all the trips to Treasure Island to studying abroad together in Italy to visiting each others first homes/ attending weddings /welcoming in motherhood and most recently keeping up on Marco Polo I am thankful for these gals.     Recreating a picture from 7 yrs ago 😂  As we were saying our goodbyes we looked down and BURST into laughter. Must be a 40 yr old thing.  Memories upon memories with this crew.  xo. edc.   

Dan and Pam +

 One of our favorite weeks of summer came and went: When Dan and Pam visit. This means lots of family time at Big C. Everything is a game and there are lots of laughs-- never ending fun. It always goes by so fast and it’s sad to see them go.  This year we did something super different and took a 24 hour trip to show off Duluth to Pam. J is the best trip planner and when she sent me the itinerary I knew it was going to be a good time.  Here we are in our little hostel room. I slept like a rock thanks to half a sleeping pill. Seriously. I slept over 9 hours and didn’t even wake up to go to the bathroom!  Found just a couple rocks to skip 😂  Here we are at split rock lighthouse. We were too cheap to go into the actual park and get the tour so we listened to a podcast on the way home instead haha  The fog hadn't burned off yet and it made for the most beautiful backdrop.  Perhaps the highlight for me: burrata and wine on the rocks of gooseberry falls. We ...