Decided yesterday would be as good a day as any to do my marathon. Proud that I did it despite not training since March. I went out too fast, didn’t have enough water, was completely alone for the entire 3.5 hours, was hot and the course I chose was hilly. I had many factors going against me, but it feels SO good to be done and not have to think about a virtual marathon again.
I’m chalking this marathon up to a really great learning experience:
1. You have to do speed work in order to race a marathon.
2. Never assume you have enough water when you’re solo and there’s not a cloud in the sky and it’s in the 70’s
3. Eating healthy 4 days before the race probably isn’t long enough.
4. Run the mile you’re in! At mile 4 I was thinking about how my last mile was going to be going straight up hill, it totally got into my head.
5. Don’t sign up for a virtual race again.
6. DON’T go out too fast. This was my problem at Boston too. I completely hit the wall at mile 20 (after hitting my first wall at mile 10).
The thing I did right:
1. Ran from my house to my parents cabin and jumped right into the lake!
2. FINISHED! Despite all the negatives! I’m so glad I did it!
Ready to rest my tired bod and thinking 2020 will be my year of no more races.
xo. edc.



Comments
Post a Comment