THAT.WAS.FUN!.... I literally had the time of my life running the marathon on Sunday. Every mile felt special for one reason or another and the day was PERFECT. It felt weird to go into a race and have NO idea where I was at pace wise. I settled on a 3:25 for my A goal, and thought if I could stay in between the 3:30 and 3:20 pacer I'd be good. I have a tendency to go out fast and I can't control the adrenaline pumping those first couple miles, but I really wanted to race smart, knowing that there is the climb at the end, and remembering how I felt last year when I got to miles 20-26....
I got to the start early (7am) and then I got to see my friend Anna-- who was also in corral 1, was my neighbor in Menomonie and is a running speedster!! We hadn't seen each other in SO long and we just kept talking and talking, and all of the sudden, I was like, I need to use the bathroom... so we got in the looooooong line, and then realized that we were going to miss the bag drop-off! So, we sprinted to our corresponding drop-offs and didn't even say goodbye! At this point there was 9 minutes until the start and I HAD to go to the bathroom, so I ran over to the farthest bathrooms and ran back with just enough time before the gun went off... but I couldn't position myself between the pacers, so I decided to run the first mile fast to try to catch up to them... I must have totally missed them, because I never saw the pacers! My first mile was 7:28, my second was 7:11 trying to find those darn pacers! At this point, I was convinced I passed them, and I was feeling good, so I told myself as soon as I don't feel good, I'll slow down to a 7:45 pace and ride that as long as I can.... But then I just kept feeling good and so I kept getting faster and faster.
My mind game was really strong and I had chosen people/ things to pray for at almost every mile and so the miles FLEW by. AND I knew I got to see the Bernards + Sigge at mile 22, so I had a LOT to look forward to. I didn't want the race to end-- until about mile 24, and then pain set in pretty hard. At that point I had 14-15 mins left which I knew was nothing, so I was able to run hard at a 7:05, 7:11, and finished at 6:31.... I cried at the finish. I was so happy. It felt like God had just given me the biggest gift- to run with joy for 3 hours and 15 mins.
Race day logistics:
4am, sigge woke up, and I fed him, crawled back into bed at 4:25
4:45 alarm went off
5a coffee, whole wheat toast with PB and honey.
5:30, left house
6am got to Jessica's, tried to feed Sigge one more time
6:20 left for the bus
7am, got to the start. drank UCAN, and ate 1/2 a PB sandwich.
7:55 used bathroom
8:02 started race!
- GU every 6 miles, 6, 12, 18. Then took a gummy and a salt tablet at mile 22.
- started water at mile 7?? - and continued every 3ish miles?? I can't really remember that part.
Some of my thoughts:
-- run the mile you're in
-- I get to run
-- my feet feel like springs
-- I won't be running for at least 1 week, so leave it all out here
-- I am grateful for_______
-- I love this day!!!!!
-- These fans are awesome
-- These runners are awesome
-- That woman up there looks SOLID, stay with her
-- You could even pass her!
-- It is THE perfect day to run a marathon
-- You can do this
-- You trained for this
-- You are doing this
I was mostly just thankful, grateful and so in awe of what my body could do. I am thankful that I have a family who supports me and lets me do these things and takes my kids/ does double duty when I am running and racing. I am grateful that I can run and race. Lastly, I am in awe that something as simple as running can bring me so much joy.
I got to the start early (7am) and then I got to see my friend Anna-- who was also in corral 1, was my neighbor in Menomonie and is a running speedster!! We hadn't seen each other in SO long and we just kept talking and talking, and all of the sudden, I was like, I need to use the bathroom... so we got in the looooooong line, and then realized that we were going to miss the bag drop-off! So, we sprinted to our corresponding drop-offs and didn't even say goodbye! At this point there was 9 minutes until the start and I HAD to go to the bathroom, so I ran over to the farthest bathrooms and ran back with just enough time before the gun went off... but I couldn't position myself between the pacers, so I decided to run the first mile fast to try to catch up to them... I must have totally missed them, because I never saw the pacers! My first mile was 7:28, my second was 7:11 trying to find those darn pacers! At this point, I was convinced I passed them, and I was feeling good, so I told myself as soon as I don't feel good, I'll slow down to a 7:45 pace and ride that as long as I can.... But then I just kept feeling good and so I kept getting faster and faster.
My mind game was really strong and I had chosen people/ things to pray for at almost every mile and so the miles FLEW by. AND I knew I got to see the Bernards + Sigge at mile 22, so I had a LOT to look forward to. I didn't want the race to end-- until about mile 24, and then pain set in pretty hard. At that point I had 14-15 mins left which I knew was nothing, so I was able to run hard at a 7:05, 7:11, and finished at 6:31.... I cried at the finish. I was so happy. It felt like God had just given me the biggest gift- to run with joy for 3 hours and 15 mins.
Race day logistics:
4am, sigge woke up, and I fed him, crawled back into bed at 4:25
4:45 alarm went off
5a coffee, whole wheat toast with PB and honey.
5:30, left house
6am got to Jessica's, tried to feed Sigge one more time
6:20 left for the bus
7am, got to the start. drank UCAN, and ate 1/2 a PB sandwich.
7:55 used bathroom
8:02 started race!
- GU every 6 miles, 6, 12, 18. Then took a gummy and a salt tablet at mile 22.
- started water at mile 7?? - and continued every 3ish miles?? I can't really remember that part.
Some of my thoughts:
-- run the mile you're in
-- I get to run
-- my feet feel like springs
-- I won't be running for at least 1 week, so leave it all out here
-- I am grateful for_______
-- I love this day!!!!!
-- These fans are awesome
-- These runners are awesome
-- That woman up there looks SOLID, stay with her
-- You could even pass her!
-- It is THE perfect day to run a marathon
-- You can do this
-- You trained for this
-- You are doing this
I was mostly just thankful, grateful and so in awe of what my body could do. I am thankful that I have a family who supports me and lets me do these things and takes my kids/ does double duty when I am running and racing. I am grateful that I can run and race. Lastly, I am in awe that something as simple as running can bring me so much joy.
The expo was actually super fun this year. The whole family came and we walked around and they all ate their body weight in candy and I just loved watching all the runners and feeling the excitement!!
So fun to see these 2 at the finish!!!!!! I'm pretty certain Olive will be a runner... she seemed pretty interested in the medal :)
screen shot! Here I am at the finish line! SOOOOO happy. so so happy.
This is a marathon I will never forget!
xo. edc.




Comments
Post a Comment