I looked at my dresser last night and I couldn’t help but think: what a depiction of what I value and care about all in one space. So here is a window into my world.
1. This was my grandpa Eddie. He was always someone I couldn’t wait to spend time with and he made me feel like the most special kid. He spoiled us with donuts and candy when we were little and then money to go to the outlet mall when we got older. He took us fishing and spent hours with us showing my sister and I how to cast. Being around him made you feel like a constant giant hug, safe and loved. He loved Jesus and his family and I miss him. I love this picture of him. It makes me smile to remember him. And I think this symbolizes how much I care about family. I want my kids to know their grandparents and feel the love they give, as it’s so different than the love I give. I hope they’ll look back with super happy memories of time spent with a generation older and different from them.
2. My last 3 marathon medals. Wish I had my other ones, but I guess it goes to show that I also don’t like clutter, so when I didn’t have a place for them I just tossed them in the trash. Ha! Now these 3 take up residency right in my closet and remind me of my love for running, and the goals and desires I still have in this arena of my life.
3. This plaque. Sten MADE this for me while we were dating. It’s a piece of wood with magazine cutouts of adventurous places and an airplane and it says: oh the places we’ll go. I’m not a saver of momentos, but this one has made it through every apartment, house, and home I’ve ever lived since he gave it to me. It was so thoughtful and meant so much to me when he gave it to me and still means so much to me today. We’ve lived a lot of places and had a lot of adventures together and I can’t wait to see what the next 10 years bring!
4. This is one of my favorite pictures I took while in Italy. My love of travel and of pretty places has made me who I am today, even tho it’s virtually nonexistent in our current stage of life.
5. You wouldn’t know it, but I love fashion. I love crazy clothes and anything expensive. Throughout my high school and college days, my babysitting money went almost exclusively to buying the latest trendy clothes, or scouring random boutiques in Chicago to find the perfect shirt. I drew this picture many years ago- big sunglasses, black dress and oversized coat with a high bun. So stylish and classic. My style these days consists of pieces that are neutral and can be worn with anything. Some day I vow to be trendy again!
6. This little dish has an E on it and the kids and Sten picked it out for me for Mother’s Day a couple years back. It was the perfect present for me and I love it. It’s holding my most special bracelet which was given to me by some friends I ran with in Menomonie after finishing the Boston marathon and right before I moved away. It was the most meaningful gift, and every time I wear it, I think of them and this super generous gift that I just adore and so encapsulates who I am.
7. 2 Trader Joe’s suckers. I feel like we have suckers everywhere! You get them at the bank, at the grocery store, at the mortgage place... literally, if you want a kid to like your store offer them suckers when the parents are checking out. My kids know every place that offers them. Trader Joe’s being their favorite. So often while shopping it’s the most random time of day and I don’t feel right about giving them a sucker, so I always tell them- let’s save this for later... and then we all forget about it. So these little suckers are everywhere! When I spotted them on my dresser it actually made me smile. I love my kids and I love that the littlest things make them happy-- like suckers!
8. I love candles.
9. Aquaphor. Have you ever used this stuff?? It’s the best! Chapped skin, lips, diaper rash, I use it for everything. I remember my freshman roommate Karoline was the person who first introduced me and I’ve been a believer ever since!
That’s it! My dresser is in our closet and I love that it’s clean and I get that little space to have all my favorite things on. ❤️
xo. edc.
Comments
Post a Comment