Finished my 6th marathon this weekend while pregnant with baby number 3. I made a goal this pregnancy to increase my long weekend run to coorespond with how many weeks pregnant I was. So at 15 weeks, I did 15 miles, 16weeks, 16 miles.... it was a method called "pairing" I learned from a podcast I listen to. Pair something you don’t like (being pregnant) with something you do like (running). This worked great for me. I looked forward to each long run and seeing what my body could still accomplish. When I got to 18 miles the TwinCities Marathon was only 2 weeks away-- I felt great at my 18 miler and thought: I wonder if anyone is selling their bib on Craigslist. Sure enough! Piper Bain was selling her bib and I bought it from her and ran under her name :) I got texts from friends and family all weekend saying: GO PIPER! 😂 I’m so glad I signed up. It was super fun to run and even though I was under trained (18 miles being my longest run and most weekly mileage around 30 miles) I was still able to enjoy the race, all the spectators, fall colors in MN, and the thrill of the Marathon. I went out fast at the beginning running 8:20 for about the first 8 miles then my pace slowed down comfortably in the 9s until about mile 20 then I went into the 10s and then shuffled my way to the finish at 11 min miles. I went to the bathroom four times on the course and 5 times before the race. I have never had to pee that many time in a race day before. 😉
Sure was a fun day and something I can check off my bucket list. I hope baby boy is a little runner and finds as much joy in the sport as I do.
I think I’ll take the week off and then attempt to keep my weekly mileage around 15-20 for the remainder of my pregnancy. Less than 20 weeks until we get to meet our newest family member, we’re all super excited!!!
Since Sten and the kids were at church they couldn’t watch the race. I came home after the race and pulled into the driveway and was greeted with this sign: WAY TO GO MOM! So sweet. I can’t take it down. The neighbors probably think it’s obnoxious but I love it!!
Until next time marathon!
xo. edc
Such an amazing accomplishment!!
ReplyDeleteAnd another BOY!! How exciting! :)